Welcome to my website!
I am married to Monte and we have ten children with three children still at home. We have seven grown children. The grown children are Matthew and Sarah in Mobile, Alabama; Elizabeth in Atlanta, Georgia; and Katie in Ft. Worth, Texas. Isaac, Lindsay, Kara and Seth live close to home. At home we have, Tillie 14 and AnaVictoria 10. I have fourteen grandchildren, four were born here at our home. I began studying birth 36 years ago with my first pregnancy. After Elizabeth and Sarah were born at home we moved to Texas where I was able to begin an apprenticeship in 1985. We lived in Texas four years and moved to Alabama for eight years. Then in 1997 we moved back to Texas. We are a Christian family and have homeschooled for 29 years. My husband and children are very supportive of my midwifery practice.
- College – BS in Mathematics & Business Administration – Minor in Biology, University of Mobile, Mobile, AL 1975
- Midwifery – Houston School of Midwifery – 1986 – Received a certificate for a two year training in lay midwifery, including lecture and hands on training as an apprentice.
- Houston Community College – 1987 – Texas Department of Health Lay Midwifery Course – Received a certificate for passing the exam and a certificate for having attended the course.
- North American Registry of Midwives (NARM) – 1995 Passed the exam to become part of the Registry of Midwives in North America. 1996 Completed the certification process to be a Certified Professional Midwife, CPM.
- Childbirth Educator – International Childbirth Education Association (ICEA) -1988 – Completed the certification process including taking the exam. Certified Childbirth Educator (ICCE).
- Professional CPR certification is maintained continually.
- Neonatal Resuscitation certification is maintained continually.
Philosophy of Practice
I believe that pregnancy and birth are a normal and natural occurrence in a woman’s life, which should be regarded with dignity and respect for the mother and the family unit. I believe a woman should be nurtured, encouraged, and supported throughout her pregnancy, labor, birth and postpartum period.
I allow two hours for the first visit and one hour for each other visit throughout the pregnancy in order to allow time to hear questions, problems or complaints concerning the pregnancy and to get to know each other. I then have time to discuss things which may help or could be of benefit. I am also available by phone on a 24 hour a day bases when needed. I believe care should be taken to look for signs that could indicate a problem that may need medical attention.
I am a certified childbirth educator and believe strongly in educating the mother and father about pregnancy, nutrition, labor, the newborn, breastfeeding and the postpartum period. During prenatal and postpartum visits I teach, but that is not equal to what can be covered in childbirth classes. At this time I have mostly stopped teaching myself as there are some really great Bradley teachers in the area. I am referring my clients to these local childbirth educators whom have mostly had homebirths with me and can teach from a homebirth perspective. I require all first time mothers and all mothers who are planning a non-medicated birth for the first time to take childbirth classes. I recommend to mothers having their first homebirth to take classes. I would encourage any mother I see to at least take a refresher class. I also have a lending library with many books for loan.
I do also offer doula services for women planning a hospital birth. I can labor with you at home until the time we have determined would be best to go to the hospital. This service will include three prenatal visits, the labor at your home and at the hospital, and one postpartum visit. I am able to monitor the baby and the mother’s well being before we go to the hospital. At the hospital I am only functioning as a doula.
I have an office at 502 S Coulter Drive in Bryan. I see appointments there on Wednesday. I see appointments at my home/office in Brenham on Monday and Tuesday.
I attend births in a wide area around Brenham and the Brazos Valley, including Bryan, College Station, Hearne, Navasota, Bellville, Chappell Hill, and many other surrounding towns. The counties I serve are Austin, Brazos, Burleson, Fayette, Grimes, Lee, Milam, Robertson, and Washington. Do not hesitate to call for a free consultation or to set up an appointment.
If your city or county is not listed please feel free to contact me.