The Birth of Avery Rose Offenbecher

After my husband and I decided to have another child, the next decision was home or hospital? Our son Tyler, who is now 5, was born in a hospital and that was something I did not want to experience again. I began to research homebirth and found Toni. Who would of known the joy she would be bringing me in a few months.offenbecher2

My pregnancy was perfect and I felt great! I expected to go past my due date as I did with my son, Tyler. Six days past my due date, I woke up around 4:30 in the morning thinking I had lost control of my bladder. Little did I know, I was in labor. I got up and on my way to the bathroom I felt a contraction. Unsure if it was the real thing, I decided to go back to bed and rest just in case it was. About an hour later, I woke up to the same thing. I realized then it was for real. I got up and made some Raspberry Tea and began to think of what the day was going to bring. I started timing my contractions and they were 15 minutes apart at 6:30 AM.

Things were going very smoothly. I began to walk around and pick up the house. I gave Toni a call and let her know what was going on. She called me back an hour later and the contractions were about 10 minutes apart. Not a big deal I thought. My son had woke up by this time and I told him the baby was coming today. He asked if I was having “contraptions” and I said yes. He informed me at this time if the baby came out a boy he was going to ask Toni to put it back in that he needed a sister.

By 9:30 AM my contractions were 5-7 minutes apart and Toni was on her way. When she arrived I was only 4 cms. That of course was very discouraging. She reassured me that everything was going great and to keep up the good work.
She and her assistants were so wonderful in helping me keep my focus. I began to feel like I needed to push around 11:00 AM. Toni checked me and I was only 5 cms at that time. Little did I know what was about to happen. Forty minutes later, Toni asked me if I was trying to push again. I answered with no, but my body is. She checked me and I was complete!

Five cm to complete in forty minutes with the baby coming down the birth canal in forty minutes! She immediately had me get out of my waterbed and on the birthing bed. My son was so excited because he was in control of the video camera and for a five-year-old he did a great. As the head was coming out he cheered me on and begged for it to be a girl. I chose not to have an ultrasound so the sex of the baby was also a surprise. After the shoulders came out and my husband laid the bay on my chest, we all waited and he said it’s a GIRL!

Avery Rose Offenbecher was born into our family on November 1, 2003 at 11:45 AM, weighing 7 pounds and 13 ounces and 21 inches long.

Having a baby come out with no medications and into an environment where she and the rest of your family are treated like people with feelings and opinions , not another number, is the most rewarding feeling you can have. Having my baby at home with Toni is something that cannot be explained, only experienced.